One of the first ice cream shops in Lakeland was located at 1101 South Florida Ave, the current location of Hungry Howie’s in Dixieland. Pipkin’s Dairy and Ice Cream was the first business to occupy this building that was built in 1939. Juanita Pipkin ran the ice cream shop while her sons, Curtis and Ray, provided her milk from Pipkin’s farm. Im 1986, Jack Cleghorn the owner of Hungry Howie’s, purchased the building.
Photo by Philip Pietri
Hungry Howie’s currently occupies the building at 1101 South Florida Ave.